How Whole Foods Help in Weight Loss
What are Whole Foods
Whole foods are anything and everything that nature provides us in the raw form. May that be Fruits, Vegetables, Seeds, Nuts, Grains, Condiments. All of these provide us the nutrition necessary for wear and tear of human body. We might choose the combination of above ingredients according to our liking but it all boils down to whole foods when weight loss is in the picture. Whole foods are single ingredient foods that are rich in nutrition, lacking chemicals and are not processed.
Whole Foods Vs Processed Foods
Refined sugar is a big culprit when is comes to fat gain and processed foods contains maximum amount of refined sugar unlike whole foods which comes with fruit sugar or known as Fructose. Fatty acids are one of the basic building blocks of our bodies but we should mind the kind of fats we intake. For instance, we have a choice of fresh berries and breakfast bars. We should be able to make a wise decision of which one to pick. One is packed with antioxidants, nutrients whereas other is packed with variety of sugars under the same name and an attractive branding. We should make sure to include Fruits, Veggies, Seeds, Legumes, Nuts, Lean Protein and try to reduce the consumption of highly processed, refined sugar, ready to microwave packed products. Although the later might seem appealing, they will damage your body for long term with providing near to none nutrients. Although in this time and era it is difficult to stay away from indulgence, you should be aware of your whole foods and processed foods consumption ratio. Moderate portions of extravagant food won’t harm you.
Whole Foods and Weight Loss
When we talk about weight loss, we are actually emphasising fat loss. When we lose weight, we might be losing fats as well as muscles but when talk about fat loss, it is merely fats in our body. To break it down in more simple words, Fats of suppose 20 grams occupy more area in our body than 20 grams of Muscles (which are built up by proteins and this proteins is available in whole foods). Processed/ Fad Diets result in short term results with side effects whereas if a diet is whole foods focused it gives long term results and also provides all the necessary nutritions needed for human body.
How do Whole Food Promote Fat Loss
Apart from being refined sugar deficit, whole foods are rich in fibres. It is a well known fact that fibres help our digestion system. They also decrease the production of hormones that make you hungry. When we eat fibre rich food, the amount of time required to chew the food is naturally increased, this gives our brain, time to process the food intake and recognise when stomach is full and the benefits of eating slowly is a piece of weight loss advice that is often overlooked. Along with that, it also provides protein. As we know proteins help us build muscles, which strengthens our body, increases muscle mass and boosts metabolism which in turn makes sure that our body remains as healthy as possible. Whole foods keep you full for longer amount of time, which results in portion control. It is important to transition from your current eating habits to the above mentioned habits gradually.
How to Make Whole Food Tastier
When it comes to consuming whole foods, it might seem little tiresome but with proper management and clever purchase, it will help both your health and pockets.
- Make sure you get only required amount of produce. Say for about a weeks need. This will ensure that you consume fresh products.
- Don’t be hard on yourself about following strict diet only. This will make you stress eat all at once if you have cravings.
- Make sure you satisfy your cravings in moderate amounts.
- Be a little flexible and add some condiments to your meals to make them taste better.
- Add sweet veggies in each of your recipes so that you won’t have sugar cravings later.
- Stews and Soups are great resource of veggie consumption.
- If you aren’t a big fan of eating direct fruits, prepare smoothies with low fat milk and juices with no added sugars.
- When preparing smoothies, incorporate nuts and seeds in it.
- Prepare meat in healthier methods in order to avoid unnecessary fat consumption.
- Eat what’s in the season. This will ensure that you get all nutrients year round.
- Even if you are cooking sweet, salty, acidic or umami based food, try replacing healthier versions for it.
- Use pickled or fermented veggies for saltiness, Use Lemon/Lime for acidity, Broths and tomatoes for Umami flavours and Honey or Maple syrup for sweetness.
As important it is to exercise, eating right food is equally or more important than that. Make sure you are consuming fresh and whole foods, and keeping your indulgences moderate according to your wants and requirements. This will surely ensure you a healthy kind of weight loss that will go along with you for long time