Makar Sankranti or Sakranti /Pongal/ Lohri Indians everywhere within the world from the USA to Australia celebrate the harvest festival, as a logo of gratitude to the Sun, cattle, and nature. In Western India, the festival is named Makar Sankranti, in Punjab, it’s called Lohri and in Tamil Nadu , the festival is named Pongal.
Every year Makar Sankranti / Lohri / Pongal is being celebrated on the Second Week of January Pongal generally lasts for 4 days. It begins with Bhogi, followed by Thai Pongal, Mattu Pongal, and Kannu Pongal. Makar Sankranti heralds the sun’s transit into Makar or Capricorn and signals the top of winter and arrival of spring. Makar Sankranti is additionally related to flying kites, wearing new clothes, and having a feast.
According to legends, it’s believed that Sankranti–after whom the festival is named–as a deity, who killed a demon called Sankarasur. In India, it’s considered to be a date that marks the sun’s transition towards the North from the hemisphere . The Hindus believe this era to be the ‘uttaarayan’ or the amount of auspiciousness. consistent with the Mahabharata, Bhishma Pitamah had waited for the sun to be in uttarayan to embrace death.
Tamilians celebrate the occasion by making traditional designs referred to as kolams in their homes with rice powder. This powder is out there in white also as various other colors. The kolams are drawn to welcome goddess Lakshmi, who is believed to bring wealth, prosperity, and happiness into the household.
For the customary celebrations, various sorts of dishes using rice, jaggery, and lentils are prepared. Being a holy month, many like better to marry during the month of Pongal. Special poojas are made to Lord Ganesha, Goddess Laxmi, and Lord Surya additionally to Cattle and Nature. Wishing you all a cheerful Pongal, Makar Sankranti, and Lohri.
On today , devotees take a holy dip in waterways like Ganga, Yamuna, Godavari, Krishna, and Cauvery. They accept this washes away their sins, it’s additionally viewed as a period of harmony and success and various profound practices are directed on today .
Every 12 Years alongside Makar Sankranti festivities, the Kumbh Mela likewise happens, which is one among the world’s biggest mass advantages. Sesame and jaggery laddoos or chikkis are distributed on today . Prominently alluded to as until gud. Popularly mentioned as til-gud. The sweet signifies that folks must stick together in peace and harmony despite their differences.
Importance of Makar Sankranti
Makar Sankranti is that the go back which the northward movement of the sun begins. the amount from Karka Sankranti to Makar Sankranti is understood because the Dakshinayan.
- According to the scriptures, Dakshinayan symbolizes the night of god or the sign of negativity, and Uttarayan is taken into account as a logo of the day of God or a symbol of positivity. Since on today , the sun starts its journey towards the north so, people take a holy dip in Ganga, Godavari, Krishna, Yamuna River at holy places, chant mantras, etc. Normally the sun affects all the zodiac signs, but it’s said that the entry of the sun within the zodiac sign of Cancer and Capricorn religiously is extremely fruitful.
- Before Makar Sankranti, the sun is within the hemisphere . For this reason, in India, in winter nights are longer and days are smaller. But with the Makar Sankranti, the sun starts its journey towards hemisphere then , days are going to be longer and nights smaller.
- On the occasion of Makar Sankranti, people express their gratitude towards the people of India throughout the year by worshiping the sun God in various forms. Any meritorious deeds or donations during this era establishes more fruitful.
Performing Haldi Kumkum ceremony during a way that invokes the waves of quiescent Adi – Shakti within the Universe to urge triggered. This helps in generating an impact of Sagun devotion on the mind of an individual & enhances the Spiritual emotion to God.
- The festival Makara Sankranthi may be a solar event making it one among the few Hindu festivals which fall on an equivalent date in local calendars every year: 14 January, with some exceptions when the festival is widely known on 15 January.
- Makar Sankranti is believed to be a time for peace and prosperity. The day is considered important for spiritual practices and accordingly, people take a holy dip in rivers, especially Ganga, Yamuna, Godavari, Krishna, and Cauvery. Bathing is believed to scrub away sins.
These are a number of the Importance and Uses of Makar Sankranti. you’ll also get a Free Webinar on Vastu Shastra. Just click the Register Link.